Thursday, March 19, 2020

Love in Skin

It has been years since I wrote a post in this blog. Some serious health issues and the vagaries of life itself intervened. I moved on to other things and I'm sure you have been busy living as well.
Yesterday a friend asked me to pick back up. We are indeed in the middle of a time in which we need stories of grace and hope to hold us up. So today a small reflection to start.

Amid the growing covid-19 storm, I am taking it as my personal mission to pray daily for you and all those who touch your lives. This morning in my prayer time, two comforting images from the life of Jesus came to me. The first was of Jesus calming the fierce storm at sea that had panicked his friends while he was sleeping quietly through it in the boat with them. They thought he didn’t care about them because he was unruffled. But he was there and when he saw their fear he acted to calm both them and the elements that they feared. The other similar story is of Jesus walking on the sea to reach his disciples when they were exhausted and discouraged. In scripture the sea is often a symbol for chaos and danger, as well as provision. So this passage gives us a glimpse of Jesus, Love-in-Skin, coming to us unhindered by the chaos and danger of the moment. I love this!
So, whatever your faith or none, I invite you today to pause and ponder the image of Love-in-Skin calming your storms and walking quietly over the unconquerable deep to be with you in your fatigue and confusion. Ponder, too, if you are a Christian (or not really) how you might be the Body of Christ – Love-in-Skin- today even in your isolation.
You are all in my prayers and for heaven’s sake…wash your hands and be grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment